Tuesday, March 27, 2007

An Infinitesimal Snapshot of Personality

Describing and explaining human personality seems like such an impossible task. How does one start to chart the, oftentimes, incomprehensible? I can describe myself and those I know by using adjectives, but doing so does not fully capture who I am or who they are. I can try to explain other people’s behavior by referring to their family background (Oh, it’s because she came from a broken family.), educational background (He acts that way because he comes from a not-so-good school.), life goals (She wants to be rich one day.), and what have you. But being fitted into a box, being described as so-and so, being expected to act a certain way… is just downright annoying.

Oh, that’s just the way she is.
Oh, she acted out of character. What happened to her?


I act in certain ways that for other people are “out of character” for me. This certain person talked about that being sensitive and being emotional is “not me”. In her words, “Emotional ka ba? Sensitive ka ba?” To her I say, “Eh sino ka ba? Kilala mo ba ako? Wala ka ngang alam sa akin except facts about me. Yes; you know my dad, my mom, where I studied, my favorite color and food, etc.… But that doesn’t mean you know me.”

So, where does one start in attempting to explain personality? One starts with his own beliefs, his values, and his family and educational background. That’s where all personality theorists started. A theorist can try to be bias-free, to be as objective as possible in formulating theories on personality. He can try, but the theory will always reflect the theorist.

1 comment:

jandrea said...

Just wanted you to know I checked out your blog.I hope even after the semester has ended, you will continue on posting your thoughts on things other than the study of personality. Not only do you write very well but you have thought-provoking ideas too!